The covered-bridge-building tradition dates back to the 1850's. Bridges were made of materials that were readily available such as the Douglas Fir, which was abundant in western Oregon and well-suited for bridge construction. House-type structures were constructed over the top of the timber trusses to protect them from the damp western Oregon climate and increase their longevity. The covered bridge blended well into the early economy of the Oregon countryside. There are six covered bridges in the Land of Umpqua. For a brochure, contact the Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center.